Thursday, November 15, 2007

First Afternoon at the Cancer Clinic.

I finished my computer training today and so I got to go the cancer clinic for the afternoon. Here are a couple of thoughts about it.
I was welcomed by all the nurses, and given the low down on all the doctors.
I saw a brochure that belongs to the quilt guild I am a member of, which made me excited, Maybe we make lap quilts for patients. That would be great!
I was totally overwhelmed with all the names and the thought of giving chemo-therapy.
I did get to see a bone marrow aspiration, and biopsy. ( I hope I never have to have one)
The head nurse made sure I was included in the ordering for the pre-Thanksgiving lunch tomorrow. Yea.
I am looking forward to continuity of care with the patients, and getting to know them. One of the patients, brought in pictures of her granddaughter today and was bragging on her. I really enjoyed that.
Tomorrow, I am wearing my UGA scrubs. I hope there are some Bulldog fans!
Hopefully it won't be long and I will be familiar with and to the people I work with and take care of.

1 comment:

Lara said...

I hope you had a great day at work and that you won't be the newbie for long. I know you'll make a great nurse at the Cancer Clinic and the patients will be lucky to have you taking care of them! We miss you!!!