Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Here's the story in her own words.

Well, I was riding home from class on my bike, and a woman opened her car door in front of me. I mean, RIGHT in front of me, and I had no time to slow down, just barely had time to turn my handlebars and try to lay my bike down instead of going over the car door. I slammed into her door going about 20 mph, hard enough that she couldn't close her door and the metal was bent. Anyway, I broke my tibial plateau and it will require surgery, but otherwise, just a dislocated finger and some road rash and bruising. I'm not gonna lie, the leg is hurting pretty bad today and I am sore, but things could have been much worse.Thankfully she hadn't gotten out of the car because I would have messed her up bad, and I didn't get run over when I was flung into the middle of the road. My dad was actually out walking the dogs right then (I was right in front of their house) and called the police and stuff. I usually keep my backpack in a crate on my bike so my back doesn't get messed up, but the bungees were broken and so I was carrying it on my back and it swung under my body and I landed on it instead of my shoulder, otherwise my clavicle probably would have been broken, as well. And since Josh has my backpack, I have his and it doesn't have a hip belt or chest strap so it could swing around me, which mine would not have done. Very grateful for that. So, surgery Friday or Monday, immobilized 'til then, and then 3 months at least of non-weight bearing on my left leg, which is very discouraging since I had a sprint triathlon this next weekend and half marathon in October and currently can't even shower by myself or walk my dogs. It will be a long road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Miss Megan I feel your pain of non-load bearing (I had 17 weeks of it)and showers. Oh the simple things. At least it looks like you are coordinated enough for crutches--you lucky girl! The 26th is my 8 year anniversary. Praying for you. Debbie K